PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Margate. - G0PDZ

G0PDZ
25th Apr 2015, 17:03
My name is Ian, G0PDZ. When first licensed I was able to operate HF & VHF with beams & with little noise from suburban SE London. I also operated mobile and /P regularly. Sadly life got in the way & I was inactive for many years only returning to the hobby recently.

Recent home QTH locations & noise levels have all but prevented main station operating, so /P has been the way to get on the air. I have been using my FT897D, FT857D & FT817ND as circumstances allow, with Sotabeams link dipoles for HF supported on 10m fishing pole/s, Sotabeams 2m beam for quick or pedestrian activity, or collapsable 2m or 70cm beams with rotator on a 20' 4 section pole for car deployed activations.

Activity of late has in the main been from the beaches of Thanet whilst out walking the dog or parked up on a convenient esplanade car park.

I look forward to meeting you all on the air, collecting certificates & recording my activations here on ARPOC.

Matt & Kaz, well done for setting this up, I'm sure it will be a great success.

Ian. G0PDZ

MI0PYN
25th Apr 2015, 22:42
Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy chasing the various awards. Am getting the SOTAbeams 4 band link dipole and the 7m pole as well as the MFD for 2m next week, now I just need to get my hands on a FT817ND! Still 2m is as good a way as any to get some activations under my belt.

Maybe see you on the air sometime soon.

G0PDZ
26th Apr 2015, 00:23
Stevan,

Thanks for the welcome. I have been fortunate in working NI & EI on 2m from here in Thanet using only 10w during contests, but I imagine it was they who were doing all the hard work. Hi hi!

I have been very pleased with my two linked dipoles, so easy to deploy & quick to change bands. When out walking with the dog I also will use my 7m pole as its lighter & less cumbersome to carry than my 10m poles. I also have one of Richards MFD, whilst not used very much, it has enabled a few contacts on my VX8 handie which otherwise may not have been made. Sadly he no longer produces his 2m/70cm beam which has given me plenty of contacts. Made of pvc pipe slipped onto a fishing pole, using the 'Armstrong' rotator, I think on occasion I have done better than with my bigger beam as I've been able to swing onto a station more quickly & get a call in before they've swung away.

You will love the 817, I had the 897 first & then the 857. Both are great radios, the 897 is great at home & when contesting & has been used at Special Events. The 857 will become my /m rig when I decide on whether I'm changing my car & install it. But the 817ND is fast becoming a favourite, such a small package but so flexible. Ive just bought a waistpack from PowerPort, or fannypack as they are called in the U.S., for it for even lighter than backpack operations. Something for future reports.

Ian
G0PDZ

M0LMK
26th Apr 2015, 09:27
Welcome to the club Ian.

Great to have you here.