PDA

View Full Version : End Fed Antenna Length

WA5SAT
6th Jul 2015, 16:33
I really enjoy using end fed wires on portable operations and sometimes at home as well. I am wondering if anyone has found a "perfect length" for your end fed antenna so it can be used on multiple bands, for example 10-20-40. I have seen the length of 41 feet mentioned as a good one for multiple band use and I notice that the 10/20/40 PAR end fed antenna is listed as 41 feet long as well. Any of you done any experimenting with wire length to get multiple bands from one end fed wire? Thank you and 73 from WA5SAT

M0LMK
6th Jul 2015, 17:00
I can't add anything useful but I have recently started to look into end fed 1/2 wave antennas for single band use so I'll be watching this topic.

G1PIE
6th Jul 2015, 18:01
G-whip supply ready made 1/2 wave end fed antennas single band one, my friends use them for /p operating with no problems.
i have never got round to trying them. allthough i did use 1/4 wave wire mono bands horizontal from the car using the car as a ground for the base!
that was better on 40 than a mobile whip was.
mark

mu0chn
6th Jul 2015, 20:56
I have used roughly 40' of wire taped to a 12m spiderpole with a 9:1 unun, 2' of 22mm copper pipe hammered into the ground and a length coax. (It should of been 44' but it was the next day that I measured it).

http://www.arpoc.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=161&d=1432147882

You may find this (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35460490/Wire%20Length%20for%209132s.pdf) handy.

And this site (http://nuke.ik0ixi.it/Antenne/EndFed/tabid/584/language/en-US/Default.aspx) is worth a look. I am working on one like this to use this at home.

m0cag
6th Jul 2015, 22:06
Hi

I have just bought the mountain tuner and 20/40m end fed antennas from Sota beams. Have used the 20m with my KX3 and 3/5w and QSO on both CW and SSB into Europe with no problems. Easy to setup and tune to loudest noise.

ian

WD5IKX
7th Jul 2015, 02:03
I use 85 ft of .030 (.8 mm) wire strung up like an inverted V with my mix 26 UnUn along with a 50 ft counterpoise laid on the ground below the antenna. I am able to get the SWR down to 1:1.3 or less on all bands 160 through 10 meters with my Kenwood AT-200 tuner. I used this antenna for Field day last month with great results on 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters. I was "busting pileups" often on the first call. I made some test calls on 17 meters but I have not tried it on 12, 30 or 160 meters yet except to check how it loaded and I hope to have some QSOs on those bands fairly soon. I want to try some other wire lengths and arrangements like an inverted L. I have to say thanks to David G4YVM and Jim G4NWJ for their article http://www.arpoc.org/content/135-multiband-hf-antenna-easy.html The Mix 26 UnUn is working well for me.

Here is a good article about antenna lengths for use with UnUn...... http://www.hamuniverse.com/randomwireantennalengths.html

John WD5IKX

M0RSF
8th Jul 2015, 13:29
I prefer to use single band EFHW antennas and I have had good results using them with the SOTAbeams tuners. I have mainly used 20M and 40M.

Experiment, that's what its all about and find out what works best for your situation.

73 Chris M0RSF

KK4UTO
9th Jul 2015, 18:36
I have an FT817nd with a Z817 autotuner and a 53 foot wire thrown into a BIG tree out in my back yard. I bust pile ups many times with this. This is my home setup. But I use it with another 53 foot wire for portable. I wish life would get out of the way so I could get portable more.

WD5IKX
9th Jul 2015, 19:09
Hi Steve

Yes those "Day Jobs" get in the way for sure. I got my ticket in 1975 but since I retired I have done more "Hammin" in the last 2 years than the 35 or so previous.

I have a 53 ft wire cut but have not been out to try it yet.

Hope we can QSO again sometime soon.

John WD5IKX
Texas

KK4UTO
9th Jul 2015, 19:27
Would love to also. I am in the process of getting a different job. One thaw pays enough so I can afford more toys and also has a set schedual. This way I can plan ahead and actually do some things

WD5IKX
13th Jul 2015, 14:52
Would love to also. I am in the process of getting a different job. One thaw pays enough so I can afford more toys and also has a set schedual. This way I can plan ahead and actually do some things

Hi Steve

Good luck with the job change.

I plan to be out at Fort Griffin SHS this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday doing astro-photography and portable radio ops. Maybe we can hook up for a QSO. I plan to set up the FD Special antenna so I could be on any band. If I can connect to the WiFi at the park I will post spots of the frequencies I will be on or I can text you. I will probably be on the radio mostly during daylight hours since I will be at the telescope after dark.

John WD5IKX

KK4UTO
14th Jul 2015, 03:22
Thanks. I got the job. triple the hourly rate. so ya better than minimum which is what I was at. Should have some savings and all that cayght up in a few months and then start paying the house off. Trying for two years.

WD5IKX
14th Jul 2015, 03:59
Thanks. I got the job. triple the hourly rate. so ya better than minimum which is what I was at. Should have some savings and all that caught up in a few months and then start paying the house off. Trying for two years.

That is great news. Maybe you will have more time and money for radio as well.

I will let you know when I am on the air the next few days and maybe we can QSO.

John WD5IKX

WD5IKX
15th Jul 2015, 20:09
The 85' end fed with the Mix 26 UnUn is working well for me at Ft Griffin SHS. I had a nice QSO with VK4MSA with only 50 watts this morning.

I am hanging around mostly on 20 meters but I am checking other bands for activity.

John WD5IKX