PDA

View Full Version : tips for operating in bad weather.

LA4TTA
19th Sep 2015, 23:59
The sun is not always shining, and the wind isn't always quiet. And staying home or not getting to activate that peak you have just climbed because you don't want your priced radio to get wet is no fun. Besides carrying an military heavy radio, what is your best tips for not risking ruining your gear and still get your signal out.

I used to carry an mobile with an detachable front panel. I could leave the radio in an "waterproof" environment like my pack or an ammo box and just bring cabels out to the antenna and the front panel. The panel could than be held reasonably safe under my rain gear or similar. But after I got my kx3 this don't seem as easy.

So from a light drizzle to snow storm. What is your favorite method of keeping you and your radio dry.

M0LMK
20th Sep 2015, 15:29
I have a 3M x3M DD tarp in my manpack. I can create a nice shelter in just a few minutes so I can sit and operate through the rain :)

LA4TTA
20th Sep 2015, 16:45
That's been on my mind also. How do you set it up? Are you using trees or do you bring poles?

M0LMK
20th Sep 2015, 16:54
I usually set mine up as a small tent. I use a walking pole to support it.

This youtube video shows it well.

https://youtu.be/yMAtpWQdVbY

GW4VPX
21st Sep 2015, 21:00
Here are some of the methods I have used on SOTA activations...Bothy bag comes out on top though...light to carry..keeps you warm etc.
Tarp
Umbrella and inside a poly bag
Golf Umbrella
Bothy Bag
Inside the Bothy bag..my 817 is in a picnic bag and dry bag usually
Last Sunday...Mynydd Mawr GW/NW-026 for SOTA..817 inside the picnic bag and Dry bag during activation

Hope it gives you some ideas

73 Allan GW4VPX

LA4TTA
22nd Sep 2015, 08:27
Thanks for all of your tips and ideas.

I'm hoping do get to try them out for some winter portable and gain some extra bonus points for my sota activation's.

G1YBB
28th Dec 2015, 22:16
I prefer to take the weigh penalty hit and slight time penalty, but major comfort bonus of either a beach shelter (tent like 2pole dome) or an actual tent. Really keeps the wind at bay and makes experience more enjoyable.
I tend to treat an activation more as a chance to get out and work radio rather than the minimum QSOs and move on though.

mu0chn
29th Dec 2015, 15:12
I quite fancy the idea of one of these (https://youtu.be/09kwpYCucR8) not just for radio but when we go camping at other times.
Room underneath for batterers and other kit.

LA4TTA
2nd May 2016, 12:27
When browsing the internet for something completely different i stumbled upon this.

https://www.weatherwriter.co.uk/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=a4-weatherwriter-waterproof-clipboard

Anyone have any experience with this or similar products?

M0LMK
10th May 2016, 08:19
I've not see one of them before. Seems a little expensive for what it is.

G1YBB
10th May 2016, 08:25
not seen one either, though agree does look a little expensive.
I prefer to shelter myself and the radio if it's quite inclement weather, so use normal paper.
(if using paper-lately I have been logging on a Surface Pro 3 in the field)