PDA

View Full Version : Back Mobile

WD5IKX
15th Apr 2016, 22:20
I am finally getting everything going in the new Ram 1500 mobile.
The "Bug Eliminator" HF antenna is working well and I installed a new high gain VHF / UHF antenna as well. I decided on an Icom 706-MK2G so that I could have HF, 2 meter and 70 centimeter bands with only one control head on the console. This is my first Icom rig and I think I am going to like it.

In about 2 weeks I will be heading out for 10 days in the mountains of west Texas and will be operating portable and mobile while there attending the Texas Star Party.

John WD5IKX
Texas USA

M0LMK
16th Apr 2016, 10:35
Lookin' good John!

I must get my finger out and finish the HF install on my car now the weather is getting better.

G1YBB
16th Apr 2016, 11:01
Does look good. You're lucky to have metal bumpers, everything over here is foam filled plastic now.
Literally decades since I operated mobile. (not counting car portable of course.)

WD5IKX
17th Apr 2016, 03:13
Thanks guys....Yes these "big ole trucks" do make pretty good mounts for large HF antennas.

I am looking forward to my trip to west Texas so I can escape the local noise. This is one of my favorite spots.....

John WD5IKX

G1YBB
17th Apr 2016, 08:08
Lovely spot. Not been to texas but I am touching 9 states on a road trip in August and September this year.

WD5IKX
17th Apr 2016, 15:11
Lovely spot. Not been to texas but I am touching 9 states on a road trip in August and September this year.

Hi Steve

Where will you be traveling? I will be traveling some and operating portable during those months. It would be a "hoot" if we could meet up somewhere for an "eyeball QSO" and a cup of tea or coffee.
Will you have radios on your road trip?

John WD5IKX

G1YBB
17th Apr 2016, 17:51
Hi Steve

Where will you be traveling? I will be traveling some and operating portable during those months. It would be a "hoot" if we could meet up somewhere for an "eyeball QSO" and a cup of tea or coffee.
Will you have radios on your road trip?

John WD5IKX

These are the Sates we will be passing through/visiting.
Towards the end I am planning to activate Pikes Peak and Mount Evans on 2m FM.
Nevada
Arizona
Utah
Idaho
Wyoming
Montana
South Dakota
Nebraska
Colorado

basically, quick sample of points: vegas, Monument Valley, Antelope Canyons, Tetons, Yellowstone, Rushmore, Colorado.

WD5IKX
17th Apr 2016, 20:25
I will be in New Mexico, western Oklahoma and Colorado on some trips near that time.

Will you have time to operate from the giant discone antenna south of Tucson while you are in Arizona? https://www.arpoc.org/location-comments/315-giant-discone-antenna.html

I have a buddy KS5H Tim who is working at Yellowstone NP this summer. I think he will be around the Old Faithful basin area.

Hope we can work you while you are stateside.

John WD5IKX

G1YBB
17th Apr 2016, 20:32
I will be in New Mexico, western Oklahoma and Colorado on some trips near that time.

Will you have time to operate from the giant discone antenna south of Tucson while you are in Arizona? https://www.arpoc.org/location-comments/315-giant-discone-antenna.html

I have a buddy KS5H Tim who is working at Yellowstone NP this summer. I think he will be around the Old Faithful basin area.

Hope we can work you while you are stateside.

John WD5IKX

that would be cool. it's more a sightseeing and photography trip, but I am hoping to work in that little SOTA radio :)

WD5IKX
19th Dec 2016, 06:20
that would be cool. it's more a sightseeing and photography trip, but I am hoping to work in that little SOTA radio :)

Hi Steve

How was your trip?

John WD5IKX

WD5IKX
2nd Jun 2019, 19:42
I am working on a new HF antenna which will allow me to get on 75 Meters. I found a coil made by a ForTex and it is huge. I am currently getting it all tuned up.

For some reason I can't get the image to load.

John WD5IKX