PDA

View Full Version : excellent mic modification kit

G1YBB
26th Apr 2016, 17:49
When I go out portable it's often for contesting or SOTA activations, and I love pileups and running rather than search and pounce.
I am in several facebook groups and one I was in someone posted this up and immediately I knew I needed to buy it.

The BX-184 by DH8BQA is a replacement innards for the standard Yaesu MH-31 mic which can act (with mods) as a speech compressor but also adds a CQ Parrot (as DH8BQA calls it) ideal for contesting and keeping a pile up going.

And it even saves weight. Can also be used on non Yaesu radios if they have the ethernet style lead.

http://g1ybb.uk/wp-content/uploads/finished-prior-to-assembly.jpg

And my write up of the build with some sample recordings
http://g1ybb.uk/dh8bqa-cq-parrot-bx-184-for-ft-817-ft857d-ft-897d-mic-mh-31/

As someone who's old CQ caller is bigger than my radio, requiring power and cables, I reckon this is awesome and highly recommended!

M0LMK
27th Apr 2016, 10:45
That looks and sounds good.

How easy it is to record a CQ call and play it back?

G1YBB
27th Apr 2016, 10:56
That looks and sounds good.

How easy it is to record a CQ call and play it back?

Dead easy. All driven from the centre button on the mic.
Hold it in for over 3 seconds, release, then PTT and record the message (that doesn't tx the radio which is nice)
To replay, dab the centre button.
to replay continuously with gaps, hold centre button for over half a second (but obviously less than 3 :) )
to can change the gap between continuous calls from 3 to 6 to xx seconds (forget what xx is now) quite easily, with a centre button/PTT combo too, but can't recall that . Easily done though.

M0PZT
27th Apr 2016, 21:36
That's a clever little unit, a local has one of those and seems to enjoy using it - It would be a welcome addition to my 857-based setup.

Something I conjured-up a few years back when I was getting back into the hobby after a short break, was re-purposing a Watson speaker-mic by chopping-off the 3.5mm+2.5mm "handheld style" plug and crimping an RJ45 on it. This was perfect for the FT-817 that I was using at the time - I kept the original electret insert, but drilled a small hole to it and placed some foam in front of it. For the 817 it was quite useful as it's not only a lighter mic, but the mic gives a much more "punchy" sound for SSB use.
With the various Baofeng'esq speaker/mics available these days, it highlights a simple (and cheap!) way to make improvements to one's station.

G1YBB
27th Apr 2016, 21:41
That's a clever little unit, a local has one of those and seems to enjoy using it - It would be a welcome addition to my 857-based setup.

Something I conjured-up a few years back when I was getting back into the hobby after a short break, was re-purposing a Watson speaker-mic by chopping-off the 3.5mm+2.5mm "handheld style" plug and crimping an RJ45 on it. This was perfect for the FT-817 that I was using at the time - I kept the original electret insert, but drilled a small hole to it and placed some foam in front of it. For the 817 it was quite useful as it's not only a lighter mic, but the mic gives a much more "punchy" sound for SSB use.
With the various Baofeng'esq speaker/mics available these days, it highlights a simple (and cheap!) way to make improvements to one's station.

nice job fitting that RJ45 as they can be a right bugger!