Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My multiband

Membership #: 46 Full Member WD5IKX's Avatar
    Name
    John Love
    Thanks

Re: My multiband

Hi Sherman

I use the mix 26 4:1 UnUn with 85 feet of wire strung up like an inverted V with a 50 foot counterpoise on the ground below the antenna and have gotten good reports on 80 and 40 meters. I used this antenna which I call my "Field Day Special" this year for Field Day and made over 300 contacts on 80 through 10 meters as well as some DX from Europe before FD began. The inverted V arrangement does not take up too much space if your yard is small and it is easy to set up for portable ops as well.

I have also used the 4:1 UnUN with 25 and 31 feet of wire as a vertical wound around fiberglass "Squid poles" for portable ops with good results as well.

I plan to string up 85 feet of wire as an inverted L at the QTH since my yard is very small.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FD-2015-06.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	351.3 KB 
ID:	651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M26-Vertical-1-sm.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	652

All in all the mix 26 4:1 UnUn has been a great addition to my kit.

John WD5IKX
    Texas

Membership #: 51 Free member AA9SD's Avatar
    Name
    Sherman
    Thanks

John,

I just went through my boxes 'o stuff and think I've found a mix-26 toroid, at least it is yellow. It is pretty small, still I imagine it should be good for QRP levels. After the holidays I'm going to purchase a 31 foot telescoping pole (and possibly a 20 footer) to experiment with as well.
    --Sherman AA9SD

Name
    John Love
    Thanks

Sherman

Let us know how it works out.

John WD5IKX
    Texas

Membership #: 10 Full Member mu0chn's Avatar
    Name
    Jes
    Thanks

I now have 2 Toroid's they are yellow with one white side so I hope they are OK. Size is 27 x 14 x 11 mm, I hope this is big enough to handle 100 watts, it's not a problem if they can't and I have seen some that are 33 x 19 x 11 mm from the same supplier. I found some 1.5 mm twin and earth in my shed will this be up to the job.
    I don't have a QRP radio at the moment but I do try to keep the power down but in satiation's it does creep up.
    À la perchoine

Jes

G-QRP 10080 - RSGB - ARRL

Name
    Sherman
    Thanks

I finished the unun today and have purchased a 20' telescoping pole. The weather here is not good, 36 F (about 3 C?) and raining. Tomorrow is supposed to be colder but clear so I might get to actually try it out.
    --Sherman AA9SD

Name
    Sherman
    Thanks

OK, I've had a few minutes to test the antenna. I set it up in my front hall next to the stairs so I was able to extend it to its full height. I have an 18 foot wire which I attached to the top of the pole and used Velcro to hold it against the pole in a couple of places. I attached the UNUN with no counterpoise or radials and connected about 25 feet of coax. I then hooked up my antenna analyzer and did a quick check of the bands from 40m up to 10m. The SWR was less than 4.5:1 across each band and the Z ranged from 30 to about 90 making it an easy match for my Z-817 tuner. For the heck of it I tried it on 40m and got a 4.0:1 SWR there as well and my tuner is able to tune 40 meters with only 18 feet of wire. I'm sure the efficiency is quite low on 40m but it could be used. I wonder how using 8 or 16 radials would affect things? I'll try it out at some point.

I didn't make any contacts but did tune around the bands and clearly heard QSOs on 40, 20 and 15m. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how this has worked out to this point. Of course making contacts is the goal and I haven't done that yet.

So what next? Beyond making some contacts of course I would like to try a thinner, more flexible wire for the antenna. I just used what I had on hand and it is 14 AWG and quite stiff. I also need to finish up the radial plate I'm making and give it a try with radials.

I'll post more when I've actually had a QSO using it!
    --Sherman AA9SD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AA9SD For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (28th Jan 2016)

Name
    John Love
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AA9SD View Post
    OK, I've had a few minutes to test the antenna. I set it up in my front hall next to the stairs so I was able to extend it to its full height. I have an 18 foot wire which I attached to the top of the pole and used Velcro to hold it against the pole in a couple of places. I attached the UNUN with no counterpoise or radials and connected about 25 feet of coax. I then hooked up my antenna analyzer and did a quick check of the bands from 40m up to 10m. The SWR was less than 4.5:1 across each band and the Z ranged from 30 to about 90 making it an easy match for my Z-817 tuner. For the heck of it I tried it on 40m and got a 4.0:1 SWR there as well and my tuner is able to tune 40 meters with only 18 feet of wire. I'm sure the efficiency is quite low on 40m but it could be used. I wonder how using 8 or 16 radials would affect things? I'll try it out at some point.

I didn't make any contacts but did tune around the bands and clearly heard QSOs on 40, 20 and 15m. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how this has worked out to this point. Of course making contacts is the goal and I haven't done that yet.

So what next? Beyond making some contacts of course I would like to try a thinner, more flexible wire for the antenna. I just used what I had on hand and it is 14 AWG and quite stiff. I also need to finish up the radial plate I'm making and give it a try with radials.

I'll post more when I've actually had a QSO using it!
    Any updates???

John WD5IKX

Name
    Jes
    Thanks

Radcom came today and there us an article about 9:1 and 4:1 unun's
    À la perchoine

Jes

Name
    Jes
    Thanks

A follow up article in the latest Radcom. Interesting loaded vertical for portable work.
    À la perchoine

Jes