Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LiFePo4 Battery Use

Membership #: 292 Free member KJ6YVT's Avatar
    Name
    Larry
    Thanks

LiFePo4 Battery Use

Because Icom radios are rated at 13.8 V DC ±15% input (11.73 V DC to 15.87 V DC), I'm a bit concerned about the nominal 13.2 V four-cell LiFePo4 battery's terminal voltage being a bit low. That only provides a 1.47 volt reduction in battery output voltage before reaching the lower limit of Icom's specification. I'm wondering of a five-cell LiFePo4 battery with a terminal voltage of 16.5 volts would be high enough to cause damage to, say, and Icom IC-718? That's only 0.63 volts too high.

I'm thinking:

A 60Ah five-cell (3.2V Cells) LiFePO4 battery made of cells similar to these: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/171782395812> or these: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/171748308512>

A 100 Watt Renogy 12V Solar Panel Monocrystalline Foldable Charging Kit with 10A built in charge controller: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/281556876312>
    Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.6V
    Maximum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 18.0V
    Maximum Operating Current (Imp): 2 X 2.78A
    Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 6.17A

Either an IC-718 (3.8 Kg), IC-7100, or a Kenwood TS-480HX with 200 watts out, perhaps a solid-state amplifier

A suitably sized antenna tuner

Perhaps a 6-80 Meter Alpha EzMilitary antenna rated 500W in a 16" bag: <https://amateurradiostore.com/all-al...a-16-bag-p-286> Weight: 3 pounds

Or a Screwdriver

So, I'd end up with a moderately sized Pelican case, a 33.1 Lbs 19.9 X 27.2 X 2.8 In folding solar panel, a 3 lb 16" antenna bag, and perhaps a computer tablet. Such a station should be robust enough to provide reliable 24 hour communications despite occasional overcast and ~1.5 hours talk time through the night, and with bright sun, fully recharged in ~6 hours the next day.

What am I missing?

Membership #: 2 Full Member Article Contributor
    Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

Re: LiFePo4 Battery Use

I use a 13.2V LiFePo4 battery with my FT-857 and have no issues. The voltage drop curve is much shallower than other battery types so it works very well. Check the specs for the input voltage of the radio and check what the minimum is. Most are 13.8V +/-15% (so 11.7V to 15.9V) so will be happy with a 13.2V LiFePo4.

You should also note that you can not charge a LiFePo4 battery properly with the PV panel and charging kit that you linked to. You need a proper LiFePo4 charger with balancing inputs if you want to make sure you don't damage the battery so a simple 10A charge controller is bad news. You could use it with a big SLA battery like a 110AH marine battery but not with a LiFePo4 or LiPo battery.
    Matt - M0LMK

Membership #: 84 Free member Award Moderator G0DZB's Avatar
    Name
    PeterO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KJ6YVT View Post
    What am I missing?
    The kitchen sink ? :-) You don't quite seem to understand the "portable operation" state of mind ! KISS is the way to start, not building a replica of your home station to put in a large vehicle.

"The inherent stability of this wide-band antenna makes constant retuning unnecessary" And use an antenna that isn't going to turn a large proprotion of your battery power in to heat !
    Last edited by G0DZB; 4th Aug 2015 at 16:49.
    Best 73 tu
    Peter G0DZB

Membership #: 2 Full Member Article Contributor
    Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

Yes, that does look like a poor antenna choice for efficient operation. Get some real wire in the air...
    Matt - M0LMK

Name
    Larry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M0LMK View Post
    I use a 13.2V LiFePo4 battery with my FT-857 and have no issues. The voltage drop curve is much shallower than other battery types so it works very well. Check the specs for the input voltage of the radio and check what the minimum is. Most are 13.8V +/-15% (so 11.7V to 15.9V) so will be happy with a 13.2V LiFePo4.
    Thank you for sharing your personal experience with LiFePo4 batteries powering your station. I'm still in the initial planning stage, and appreciate any data points offered.

I recall reading somewhere that LiFePo4 cells should not be discharged below 2.7 volts, or a battery terminal voltage of 11 volts. So, if the LiFePo4 battery is nearly exhausted at 11.7 volts due to its flat discharge profile, I can see that my fears are unfounded. Do you in fact find that the battery is nearly fully discharged when the voltage drops to 11.7 volts?

What sort of voltage drop/performance do you find when attempting to transmit at near that voltage?
    Does the added (~22 amp) load drop the voltage well below the 11.7 volt minimum.
    Does the PA continue to output rated power?

You should also note that you can not charge a LiFePo4 battery properly with the PV panel and charging kit that you linked to. You need a proper LiFePo4 charger with balancing inputs if you want to make sure you don't damage the battery so a simple 10A charge controller is bad news.
    I presume you are referring to the charge controller included in the Renogy 12V Solar Panel Monocrystalline Foldable Charging Kit. Are you able to recommend a suitable solar charge controller replacement that is compatible with 4-cell LiFePo4 batteries? Can the output of the included Renogy charge controller be fed into a charger that is compatible with LiFePo4 technology?

From what I've read of LiFePo4 technology, it seems to be superior to all others for this application in the current marketplace. Do you agree? Is there something better on the horizon?

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge

Best regards,
    Larry

Membership #: 306 Free member G4CFS's Avatar
    Name
    Glyn
    Thanks

What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

A reality check.

If it doesn't fit into a rucksack and can be carried on your back whilst walking to you operating location it should be left at home.

I use a FT-817 5 watts powered by a LiFePO4 4.2Ah battery into a 60/40/20M linked dipole on a 7 metre roach pole. Have worked all over the northern hemisphere in SSB and CW. I may stretch to a 35 watt linear if desperate. All this fits into a 35 litre rucksack with room for my flask of coffee and sandwiches plus water proofs and bothy bag.

73 Glyn

Membership #: 58 Free member Article Contributor
    Award Curator
    Thanks

Ha ha. Good advice. Personally I can't fathom why anyone uses more than a few watts when portable either. Maybe 25 tops.

I use my self contained kx1 with just a few watts of cw and simple aerials. It just never fails. Why use more?

D

Name
    Larry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G0DZB View Post
    The kitchen sink ? :-) You don't quite seem to understand the "portable operation" state of mind ! KISS is the way to start, not building a replica of your home station to put in a large vehicle.
    Thank you for taking the time to enlighten me about the group's apparent philosophy. While the station I proposed may not be "man portable" due to the size/weight of the photovoltaic panels, it is reasonably compact and light enough to be carried some distance to a favorable operating location (under a tree?). I don't see how eliminating any of the components (XCVR, battery, photovoltaic system, tuner, antenna) can be eliminated and still retain functionality. Do you know something about that that I don't?

Quote Originally Posted by G0DZB View Post
    "The inherent stability of this wide-band antenna makes constant retuning unnecessary" And use an antenna that isn't going to turn a large proportion of your battery power in to heat !
    I became aware of that particular antenna in this YouTube video: My New Solar Powered HF Ham Radio Portable System 3-5-2015. It would seem that the anonymous OM (Mike?) who recorded that video had some years of portable experience, and had done a commendable job of constructing a functional station. I found his choice of antennas to be reasonably light weight (~10 lbs), broad banded, and able to handle enough power to be reliably heard around the world in SSB mode during favorable propagation. Of course, the gain provided by a directional antenna would increase station functionality considerably. How do you feel about BuddiePoles? Another antenna contender is the 5-bandfolding hex-beam. Photographs

From your photographs on QRZ.com, I can see that you have a very portable station indeed. However, it was unclear what means you use to recharge your batteries. I'm contemplating my proposed portable station for emergency use, when mains power may be unavailable, and petrol conservation may be desirable, thus the photovoltaic system. That should be capable of powering the station indefinitely without necessity of any ancillary hardware, connections or consumables other than sunlight.

As you apparently find the suggested '6-80 Meter Alpha EzMilitary antenna' inappropriate, I would be interested in your recommendations for suitable antennas. And any other suggestions you may be able to offer.

The second contact I made after receiving my FCC license, while operating on a dipole strung on the carpet on the second floor, was with John Maguire, W1CDO. At the time, John was sitting in a tavern in Klamath Falls, Oregon, sipping a glass of Merlot while operating his radio station located in Roswell, New Mexico, via his iPhone. Now, that is a real portable station!

Thank you for taking the time Peter, to share your knowledge with this rather recently licensed (2012) Amateur.

Best regards,
    Larry

Membership #: 58 Free member Article Contributor
    Award Curator
    Thanks

No, that's not portable at all. It's a very fixed station with a long but invisible connection wire.

I'm sorry we're popping our philosophy at you, each to his own I guess.

D

10. The Following User Says Thank You to G4YVM For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (5th Aug 2015)

Name
    Larry
    Thanks

Yes, that does look like a poor antenna choice for efficient operation. Get some real wire in the air...
    Hello Matt,

Thank you for your comment.

Are you able to provide some suitable antenna recommendations? Something 6-80 meters, light weight, and suitable for 500 watts?

I welcome your experienced input.

Best regards,
    Larry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KJ6YVT For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (5th Aug 2015)