Thread: Digi modes /P

Membership #: 2 Full Member Article Contributor
    Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

Digi modes /P

Do any of our members operate digi modes when /P?

I would be interested to know what equipment and interface you use.
    Matt - M0LMK

Membership #: 84 Free member Award Moderator G0DZB's Avatar
    Name
    PeterO
    Thanks

Re: Digi modes /P

I've just started to use the KX3/PX3 (with latest firmware) to try PSK31 when /P. I think I need to do the extended temperature calibration procedure on the KX3 before trying it again.
    http://www.peteronion.org.uk/G0DZB/index.html#PSK-P
    Best 73 tu
    Peter G0DZB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to G0DZB For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (25th Oct 2015)

Membership #: 167 Free member DH9DX's Avatar
    Name
    Erwin
    Thanks

A few month ago I started to use digi-modes /p, mostly PSK with abt 10 Watts out on 40, 20, 15 and 10 m.

My setup:
    Yaesu FT-757GX2, SignaLink USB Modem, DXLab Commander and WinWarbler, EeePC OS Win XP

Works great...

Erwin DH9DX

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DH9DX For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (26th Oct 2015)

Membership #: 87 Free member M0PZT's Avatar
    Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

A couple of times, but not a fan of cycling with the laptop in the panniers (not so fussed about the £40 tablet!). So, HP Windows laptop running PZTLog and my homebrew "passive" data interface: No PTT, just isolation transformers in a box with a 4-pole 3.5mm (combo socket on laptop) at one end and a 6pin mini-DIN for the FT-857.
    (scroll to bottom of this page) http://www.m0pzt.com/datamodes-inter...-psk-and-rtty/

Main issue is dealing with laptop screen and sunlight - for a lightweight /P like me (cycling to all my /P jollies) you do need the comfort of a tree, parasol or hatchback+blanket.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to M0PZT For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (26th Oct 2015)

Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

Nice work Charlie. Have you thought about selling them? A cheep UK made tablet interface alternative to the WOLPHI link maybe?
    Matt - M0LMK

Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

There is actually a £10 kit over at Ham Goodies which contains all the bits for a "standard" interface: Transformers, Opto-Couplers, USB/Serial converter etc to handle both digimodes and CW keying. The user just adds a box and whatever cabling they need for the radio - Homebrew at its best, I say. I've also got those 4-pole 3.5mm combo/tablet connectors in "easy-solder" form - unlike the type Maplin sell The kit is aimed at "Intermediate" level but the supplied instructions give you all the details to complete it.

...and now for some balance: Those £25 ones from RadioArena aren't bad, either - although I did notice that the (stereo) input only came through on the right channel so had to modify PZTLog's datamode engine. They are available in several formats depending upon your radio. If you really didn't want to make one, then this is a fairly good solution.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M0PZT For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (9th Nov 2015)

Membership #: 51 Free member AA9SD's Avatar
    Name
    Sherman
    Thanks

I've operated digital (PSK31) while portable. I use an Android tablet and a Wolphi interface to my FT-817nd along with an LNR 40/20/10 end fed antenna. It makes for a small and light package. For longer sessions I also have a 12ah gel cell but that alone weighs more than the radio, table, interface and antenna combined!
    --Sherman AA9SD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AA9SD For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (9th Nov 2015)

Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

I think i'm going to look out for a cheap Windows based tablet with a TRRS jack.

I'm going to make a bluetooth CAT dongle for the 857 so I should be able to get full control via that and just need the TRRS jack for audio in and out. Seems to be quite hard to find a tablet that actually specifies a TRRS jack though
    Matt - M0LMK

Name
    Charlie
    Thanks

Matt,
    The Linx 7, 8 or 10 (in those screen sizes) are probably worth a look - been around for a while, and there's a look at the 8" version over at Essex Ham: http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/linx-windows-tablet.html I've had a go on it, and it's quite nice. Having seen the 7+8 together you would almost certainly want the 8 for the slightly larger screen. Just add one of those cheap USB keyboard leather holders (about £3 on Amazon). The Linx you can get in Staples. The 10" is interesting as it can be used with an "origami" keyboard (it folds open and props-up the screen like a photo frame). That has a special docking connector so you don't lose the single USB socket. There are some issues with OTG adapters and charging but there's a forum with tips/tricks and links to cheap and known "good" OTG splitters etc - assuming that you may need to charge it off your SLAB when /P. If not, I'd say about 4hrs operating time.