Thread: Ninja Patrol to Grafham Water

Membership #: 364 Full Member G4KLE's Avatar
    Name
    Mervyn
    Thanks

Ninja Patrol to Grafham Water

A couple of us took at trip out to Grafham Water, Cambridgeshire on 24th May 2016, my set up was 10m SOTABeam vertical pole + lightweight Nested Marconi Dipole (G7FEK design) and KX3. Conditions not great on the bands but did manage to have 8 CW contacts as well as one SSB QSO with GX1RCD (Dartmoor ARC), 8 guys in a tent on Dartmoor.

We have used this QTH a couple of times and always drop into the Cafe/Information Desk to let them know that we are going to be setting up Amateur Radio stations at the far end of the car park (the quiet end). They have always said "no problem, have fun".

We had been going for about 2 hours when an official white 4X4 pulled up and a guy in a yellow tabard (with RANGER on the back) got out, came over and asked what we were doing, I was on the Key but managed to talk with him and told him that we were Radio Hams and operating our radios as it is our hobby.

I finished my CW QSO with a German station and said that we had been into the Information Center and asked for permission and they gave us permission, he then said "Well you should have come through US, this is an Anglia Water site and nothing to do with the Information center", I then said that I was sorry and then explained what Amateur Radio was all about. He then calmed down and said that it was OK for us to stay, but please contact Anglia Water in future, I asked for the contact details and that was that.

The sequal to this story is that whilst having my breakfast at 7am next morning, on the local NEWS it said that Prince Phillip was visiting Grafham Water that day and opening two new facilities for Anglia Water. So this was probably why there were extra Ranger Patrols out, checking up these suspicious persons setting up masts and antennas just across the water from where Prince Phillip was going to be..

our location was: Grafham Water, Loc = IO92UK, Grid = TL164 682, WAB = TL16

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grafham Water 24May16.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	820Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GrafhamWater2 24May16.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	821

We were there from about 10am until 15:45pm, having a very pleasant day out.

Best 73's Merv/G4KLE

Membership #: 2 Full Member Article Contributor
    Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

Re: Ninja Patrol to Grafham Water

Blimmy! You never know whos about!

Glad you managed to explain what you were doing but understandable why the ranger was so interested.
    Matt - M0LMK

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M0LMK For This Useful Post:

G4KLE (1st Jun 2016)

Membership #: 10 Full Member mu0chn's Avatar
    Name
    Jes
    Thanks

If the ranger had said why he was asking what you were doing you could of told him to send Prince Phillip over for a chat seing as he is the patron of the RSGB.
    À la perchoine

Jes

G-QRP 10080 - RSGB - ARRL

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mu0chn For This Useful Post:

G4KLE (1st Jun 2016)

Membership #: 364 Full Member G4KLE's Avatar
    Name
    Mervyn
    Thanks

Yes I agree Jes, but HRH Prince Phillip was coming the next day. I wonder if I would have earned an additional ARPOC Award, perhaps the "Portable Professional ROYAL" Award. Hi Hi

73's G4KLE

7. The Following User Says Thank You to G4KLE For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (1st Jun 2016)

Membership #: 2 Full Member Article Contributor
    Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

I'm sure that could have been arranged. 100 bonus points if you got him to call CQ on 40M!
    Matt - M0LMK