Thread: Ninja Patrol to Coton Countryside Reserve, CAMBS

Membership #: 364 Full Member G4KLE's Avatar
    Name
    Mervyn
    Thanks

Ninja Patrol to Coton Countryside Reserve, CAMBS

Two of the Ninja Communicators took a trip to the Coton Countryside Reserve on Wednesday 8th June, it is just off the M11 about 3 miles west of the City of Cambridge.

What a gem of a location, I found it whilst looking on Google maps and decided to check it out, I first contacted the 'Cambridge - Past and Future' Wardens who manage the site to make sure it was OK to operate from there and they gave us the go ahead.

Dave M0VTG and myself (G4KLE) decided to take a trip out as it was a lovely day. VTG decided just to check out an Antenna or two (no rig attached), and I erected my Military 6M Light Weight Fibreglass Mast with homebrew Half G5RV atop to start with. Temp got up to about 26C, so hats were the order of the day.

Had 7 SSB and 6 CW contacts, one was a CW contact with a TF/W4** 569 on 30M, who was operating QRP from the north of Iceland (above the Artic Circle) and then straight after on 20M was a 9H3** (Malta) who gave me a 549 - I was using my KX3 with 5 watts throughout the day.

Then at about 3:30pm the wind had got up a little so I took down the Mast and flew the Kite Antenna. A 40m long wire with Earth and Bleed Resistor for the static. I made three SSB contacts - one in Durham, one in N Devon and the third just north of Cambridge, all reports between 54 & 57.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CotonReserve1 8June16.jpeg 
Views:	163 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CotonReserveKite 8June16.jpeg 
Views:	173 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CotonReserveKite2 8June16.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	826

Activation: Coton Countryside Reserve
    WAB: TL45
    Loc: JO02AE

Best 73's
    Merv/G4KLE

Membership #: 46 Full Member WD5IKX's Avatar
    Name
    John Love
    Thanks

Re: Ninja Patrol to Coton Countryside Reserve, CAMBS

Great outing!!! The weather has been so wet this year I haven't been out much.

John WD5IKX