Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is portable?

Membership #: 51 Free member AA9SD's Avatar
    Name
    Sherman
    Thanks

Re: What is portable?

Quote Originally Posted by G4YVM View Post
    I would also take issue with operating from my back garden.. If I sit at my picknic table using my KX1 and a wire in the tree, exactly as I would if I were out in the forest, then I sign /P and I believe that I am.

David
    I also think that would qualify as /P as long as you aren't connected to mains power.

--Sherman AA9SD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AA9SD For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (22nd Apr 2015)

Membership #: 2 Full Member Article Contributor
    Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

Now that we have a nice number of members, maybe I should create a poll with the different options and see which definition is preferred?

Does that sound like a good idea?
    Matt - M0LMK

Membership #: 58 Free member Article Contributor
    Award Curator
    Thanks

Yes it does, but we need to be aware that OUR definition of portable will not be the OFCOM one. Technically when we sign /P we are in contravention of our licences almost always. I won't spell it out here because users can look it up.
    My feelings are that OFCOM are wrong and out of step with the amateur radio fraternity, so I shall continue to sign /p when I probably ought to sign /m.

Therefore , for the poll, my definition would be

"the radio transceiving equipment is powered by batteries either internal or external to the radio set, which have been carried on site by the operator. The batteries must not be recharged during the period of operation. The only exception is that human powered generators may be used, eg hand operated or from a bicycle. No fuel burning engines are allowed in this category during the period of operation

Natural power is also permitted, so solar panels, hydro electricity if established by the operator, wind generator (also if carried by the op) etc are permitted. The caveat is that nothing must have existed prior to the stations arrival and nothing must be left behind.

The aerial must not be a permanent fixture, it must not have existed prior to the operator establishing the station and it must not be left in place once he has gone. All aerial fixtures and fitting must have been carried on site by the operator and must be removed when he leaves, also by the operator. For the purposes of the awards 'carried' also means in the operator's car or van, horse, bike or other means of transport. It is accepted that there might be two or more operators.

For the purposes of the award it is the spirit of the /p that counts, not the literal letter of the rule. Hence it is firmly in mind that a portable station is usually one person, man handling his equipment to a remote location for enjoyable operation using battery power and temporary aerials. It is his skill at establishing and operating small low powered amateur radio stations that is being celebrated, not his cheque book. Any station deemed to be invoking the letter rather than the spirit will be disqualified.

It is accepted that our definition of portable is not ofcoms, it is not our intention to challenge OFCOM nor to try to change them. We are defining portable ops solely for our own awards needs. Challengers need not apply!"

That's my penny worth.

David
    Last edited by G4YVM; 23rd Apr 2015 at 11:48.

Award Curator
    Thanks

The diving world has a phrase, "take only pictures, leave only bubbles". I'd say we use "take only pleasure, leave only footprints"

D

Award Curator
    Thanks

Note that I haven't mentioned in my definition WHERE the station may be. That's because it doesn't matter does it? The challenge lies in the kit, not the location. Like I say, sometimes in my garden in the summer, twenty foot of wire thrown into a tree doesn't know where it is at all...wire is wire and I'm still on the kx1. The aerial was carried by me and will be removd before my wife gets home!

D

7. The Following User Says Thank You to G4YVM For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (23rd Apr 2015)

Membership #: 51 Free member AA9SD's Avatar
    Name
    Sherman
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M0LMK View Post
    Now that we have a nice number of members, maybe I should create a poll with the different options and see which definition is preferred?

Does that sound like a good idea?
    Yes, I think it does. I have my ideas of what constitutes portable operation but I'm sure other will disagree or have other ideas. Here are some of my thoughts in no particular order-

* I like the idea of the equipment being transported by human power to the final location
    * Equipment must be powered by something other than mains power. Could be battery, solar, wind, generator or a combination
    * Antenna must not be a permanent installation

Some of these ideas do conflict with using a vehicle mounted radio and antenna which could be an issue for some. It will be interesting to see what the definition becomes!
    --Sherman AA9SD

Membership #: 2 Full Member Article Contributor
    Award Moderator
    Name
    Matt
    Thanks

Great suggestions for all.

I'll have a bit of a think and put up a poll so members can vote on the best definition for the purposes of the award.
    Matt - M0LMK

Membership #: 77 Free member Article Contributor
    Award Curator
    Thanks

I believe none of the awards should exclude any amateur with a full license from their jurisdiction's regulating authority. Essentially, all awards should be achieveable by any full call sign holder from any jurisdiction.

The "On the Air, In the Air" award is not accessible to UK Amateurs, as the license terms expressly prohibit operating from the air.

I also do not think we should exclude multi operator type expeditions, these also have a place in Portable operating, although each member of the group must meet the individual criteria to achieve the award.

Just some points off the top of my head...

73s

Stefan MI6PYN

Award Curator
    Thanks

Couple of points:

UK Amateurs are NOT excluded from /AM operation, as has been confirmed by OFCOM IN WRITING to a colleague of mine. However, /AM ops are NOT permitted in the UK. So, if you care to fly in any CEPT state that does permit airborne ops, in a G reg OR locally registered aircraft, you may do so. My colleague does this pretty frequently as do I. So for most UK operators the award will be really hard, but for a few lucky ones, at least possible.

Furthermore, our licences do NOT expressly forbid operating from aircraft. The regs state "the equipment shall not be installed in an aircraft".. Nowhere can I find what "the equipment" is and it certainly doesnt say "you cant do it". My "office" has a wonderful SSB radio fitted which alas is only USB so is a bit restricted, but HF ops work just fine.

I was thinking over night about my "no fuel burning" comments and would now withdraw them. I personally prefer the sort of ops where I walk or cycle (or maybe drive) to a location and use simple gear and batteries, but on reflection, so what if I hike or drive or get my Father's helicopter to fly me, to the most out of the way place and stay there for a week. Clearly I'll need food and petrol for the genny, I might hoist up a beam or three and have a real blast /P on 500 watts from my Honda fourstroke before packing away and leaving nothing behind to show I was ever there. I was letting my own preferences cloud my thinking.

D
    Last edited by G4YVM; 24th Apr 2015 at 08:27.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to G4YVM For This Useful Post:

M0LMK (24th Apr 2015)

Award Curator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AA9SD View Post
    Yes, I think it does. I have my ideas of what constitutes portable operation but I'm sure other will disagree or have other ideas. Here are some of my thoughts in no particular order-

* Equipment must be powered by something other than mains power. Could be battery, solar, wind, generator or a combination
    * Antenna must not be a permanent installation
    This needs thought: On the aircraft I fly ships power is called 'mains'. My aerials are pretty permanant. In fact they stand up to wind better than my home QTH, so are probably MORE permanent. The same would apply to a boat or ship. But I know what you mean, hence my original statement about things being in the spirit, not the word.

Oh this is going to be fun

D