• The "Portable Professional - Bronze Award" is many operators first award for portable operating. The criteria for gaining this award are as follows:

• Only activations that have taken place after your ARPOC joining date are valid for claiming awards
    • Operate a station from 5 different portable locations (see section B of the Award Rules for the definition of a "portable location")
    • Complete a standard exchange with at least one station from each location (see section B of the Award Rules for the definition of a "standard exchange")

To claim the award, applicants must:

• Read the award rules before claiming an award - https://www.arpoc.org/rules/18-award-rules.html
    • Create a new thread in this forum section using their call sign as the title
    • Provide the date for each activation
    • Provide the name for each portable location
    • Provide the location of each portable location using the Maidenhead locator (6 digit) or GPS signed degrees format (DDD.dddd)
    • Provide at least one photograph showing their station and it's surroundings at each portable location

Once an application has been verified, the applicant will receive a unique code that they may then use to download the award certificate via the awards portal.

HF Only & CW Only ***Awarded*** G4YVM

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
Right, Im starting this thread to claim my gold award...I shall add each QTH as I activate it. Here we go...

May 15th 2015
Ebsbury Wood
51.113300, -1.915771

DL4IAD worked.

Attachments

• IMAG0231.jpg
    IMAG0231.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 270
  • IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 210
  • IMAG0234.jpg
    IMAG0234.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 219
  • IMAG0235.jpg
    IMAG0235.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 223

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Re: G4YVM

Do you not want to collect the Bronze and Silver awards on the way through David?

You can count the bronze and silver totals towards your gold award. So 5 activations will get you Bronze, another 5 (making 10 total) will get you silver then another 15 (making 25 total) will add up to your gold.

I can move this post to the Bronze forum if you like then when you have the award, just create a new post in the Silver forum and add a link to your bronze thread and add 5 more locations.

You get 3 certificates for the price of none! How does that sound?

Last edited:

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor

Matt,

Thats great...please do move it. I had assumed that it was one or the other award but your way is better (i.e. counting the QTHs again).

Cheers Matt

D

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor

Next operation!

Lovely day today, 18c, sunshine!!
Firsdown
Wiltshire, UK
51.104275, -1.731504

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

Worked DF7ZB, Horst. 559 both ways!

KX1, 66ft wire, 33ft counterpoise.

David

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor

Next...

My garden!
Salisbury SP1 3LW, UK
51.087468, -1.811589

Worked DL5YM, Fred, in Strausberg

Antenna, end fed random wire, KX1, 2.5w.

IMAG0260.jpg

D

Last edited:

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor

Todays adventure was more succesful but drawn to a short close (hour and a half) due to cold wind and pressing engagements!!

I worked OZ1HDF, Ken in Denmark and OK1KW, a FISTS friend, Milan in Praha. Good signals from both stations and good reports from my KX1

Site was on the plain, as usual.

Technically it's here...

Collingbourne Ducis
Wiltshire, UK
51.258961, -1.676654

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0268.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

The photos show my station from two angles. You can see the mast and the bit of wire but look carefully and you'll see my unun on the grass in one of them.

The odd man out is clearly not my station, but a Bell Huey helicopter: for a laugh I held my phone against the glass of my binoculars and took the photo. The granular appearance is due to the heat haze - the wind was freezing and drove me off, but the sun had baked the grass all day. I shared my site with this Huey, a Cobra and numerous jets and other helicopters and ground vehicles. Sometimes it gets quite scary to be honest and I go just because my nerves cant take it any longer!

The aerial is a homebrew 4:1 unun and about 36ft of wire tied to the top of the mast. The unun is on the grass. I did try top feeding it but the unun bends the mast a lot and I could not detect any great advantage. Details of my unun are shown in my article on homebrew multiband antenna.

Anyway, enjoy the photos.

David

Last edited:

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor

Woo Hoo...I think this is Bronze!!

Today was a real challenge, it was very windy and cold again, 13 degrees...but the wind was freezing. Add to that VERY flat band conditions and I was lucky and delighted to get DL7SX, Rudiger, Berlin on 7.028 at 1540Z

That was on the wire and unun again, I tried the vertical but it wasnt as good today as the wire was. Thats how it goes!

Unnamed Rd
Shrewton, UK
51.181015, -1.961979

IMAG0272_1.jpg
This photo shows a tank squadron by day: fast asleep! By night they come to life and are terrifying. Im not sure whether the public is allowed on the plain after dark, but I keep well away. I have been on there at dusk but there's so much going on I think it could be seriously bad for the health!!

IMAG0273.jpg
This is my station aerial today; you can see the tremendous bend in my mast from the wind. Im getting a bit concerned at the amount of kit I am now carrying and I can feel a "back to basics" event coming on. Im only prevented from doing it by the blasted cold wind we cant get rid of...Im not a fan of walking miles in freezing wind to be honest!

Now, why am I the only one claiming and posting?!??!?!?!

David

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Congratulations David.

You are not the only one claiming. It's just that members can't see other members claims.

I think we must be at 11 certificates issued now? What number is your new one?