Best HF antenna for portable use?

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Do you get any issues with RF feeding back into the radio or do you use a choke before the coax connects to the tuner?

KK4UTO

Member #25
Award Curator
It does not seem to. However I have no meter to check that. Iam totally dependant on the z817 at the moment.

WD5IKX

Member #46
Using a choke is good practice especially if you are running 50 to 100 watts. Depending on my setup I use a coax choke at the base of the antenna or at the back of the radio or tuner when using my end-fed antenna. The antenna in the picture is my 8 meter "Squid Pole" (I like that name better) set up with a loading coil to resonate on 40 meters without using a tuner. I am still experimenting with this antenna.

IMG_0505-sm.jpg

John
WD5IKX

Last edited:

G3UNA

Member #88
Hi John (IKX) nice package: may I ask how you secure the pole in the ground? I have a selection of ground anchor screws but they are rather heavy to trek with.

David
G3UNA

WD5IKX

Member #46
The mount is actually the pole from a real-estate "For Sale" sign. It is a 3' piece of angle iron with a 6" section welded near one end so you can push it into the ground with your foot. I plan to shorten the 3' length a bit to make it more portable. I use a short piece of PVC pipe with U bolts to stick the "squid pole" into. This picture shows it with a 9:1 UNUN attached and suing the coax as a counterpoise with a choke at the tuner. It works fairly well but I am still experimenting which is half the fun. (o:

End Fed Vertical-4.jpg

John
WD5IKX

G3UNA

Member #88
A nice professional looking kit and I think your foot-insertion method is excellent. I would eliminate the U clamps and simply screw the stake and unun box to the pipe. Thanks for sharing. David G3UNA

WD5IKX

Member #46
A nice professional looking kit and I think your foot-insertion method is excellent. I would eliminate the U clamps and simply screw the stake and unun box to the pipe. Thanks for sharing. David G3UNA

Thanks Dave

Once I finalize the design of this antenna I will probably do things like that to reduce size and weight. I plan to test this antenna more while out portable at the Texas Star Party in May.

John
WD5IKX

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
That's a nice idea.

I have a 12M heavy duty push up pole from DX Wire and a couple of the 10M versions too. I bet a 40M doublet, centre at 12M, ends at 10M would work well!

M0PZT

Member #87
I've used a 40m+20m coax-fed Inverted-V for a few years with a 9m fishing-pole. This would sit 8m up as a "fan" giving me a stable dual-bander (plus 15m with some persuading). For the last few outings I've replaced the RG58 feeder with 17m of 300-slotted and (with help from G0DZB's spare 7m poles) raised the ends up to give me an almost flat-top 20m length Doublet. However, as a one-man/pole Inverted-V it works rather well. I've been running it with a homebrew 1:1 balun and into an LDG YT-100 auto-ATU. This arrangement was used for the recent GB1STG event from Galleywood.

Not used recently (but available) is a set of wires for a 20m ground-plane plus a vertical coax dipole for 10m. However, the Doublet has been hearing South America nicely in the afternoons when we've been /P.

2E0CRV

Member #17
Hi Charlie. I have to say that it was you that originally inspired my interest in portable ops! I was up in Yorkshire with a very inefficient /A set up at a relative's house and heard you describing your portable station to someone on one band or another, then I looked up your web site and got hooked. Hopefully we will get to have a natter sometime. In the mean time, thanks!

WA5SAT

Member #47
If I had a pickup truck, I would take my Antron A99 style vertical antenna on portable ops. That antenna just works beautifully on 10 meters, and can be tuned to work on lower bands as well. It's lightweight enough, but the three pieces are a bit long for my Ford Focus to haul around.

I have been experimenting with an MFJ Moxon 10 meter antenna at home (model 1890)

IMG_3635[1].jpg

It's a yagi antenna with the ends of the elements "folded" toward the center of the antenna.
I have been trying the Moxon on my deck, with lightweight TV type mast sections, and it works just fine.
AGAIN, if a ham had a truck or a van, this very lightweight antenna could be partially disassembled and carried to a portable location. It would be a great antenna for Field Day. Take a look at the Moxon on the MFJ website.

Last edited by a moderator:

KK4UTO

Member #25
Award Curator
Very nice. That light wieght Moxon might be just the ticket here are the house. The 15 would be really nice.

K5EST

Member #98
Greetings All.......for portable antennas there are three favorites. 1st is the Alex Loop, it's light weight and packs down in a small bag. 2nd is two 50 foot wires fed straight from the 1:1/4:1 balun attached to the KX3 or FT-817 with a small tuner. And 3rd is a 3/4 WL wire loop fed with twinlead/open line and using a smalll tuner. 73....Walter - K5EST

WD5IKX

Member #46
Here is my 20 meter vertical I just built for portable operation set up at Ft Griffin SHS campground 32° 55' 32.21" N 99° 12' 57.55" W Elevation 1210'

20M vertical.jpg20M vertical feed.jpg20M vertical and Casita.jpg

When I tested it Sunday evening 20 meters "came to life" and I "had a blast" working DX running 100 watts SSB and "bagged" the following......

EU7A Belarus
UA3KW Russia
R4FCJ Russia
YT2AZD Serbia
DF2RR Germany
LY5A Lithuania
RG4F Russia
G0KIK England
OE3DIA Austria
OK2RZ Czech Republic
SA3ANZ Sweden
ON4STA Belgium
IZ5EKV Italy
OE6CAG Austria
OE6KDG Austria
AO150R Spain
VK3IO Australia
VK6WC Australia
VK6DW Australia

I finally gave it up about 3 AM to get some sleep.
Needless to say, I went to bed tired but happy.

The antenna consists of a 16.5' "Squid" pole, some wire for the radiator and eight radials, lugs, a mobile antenna mount and a flag pole ground mount. The SWR is < 1.2:1 across the phone band so no tuner is needed. I will be tweaking it just a bit more before I call it done. I have a 40 / 30 meter version I am working on as well.

John
WD5IKX

Last edited:

A25SL

Member #136
mmmm:rolleyes: best portable antennas.....Guys They All good. The easiest, and most reliable is your suitcase antenna kit. A pre- prepared set of inverted V antennas, using 1mm aluminium wire,(no kinking) some PVC centre fed tubes, eye hooks, a throw sinker, gut line top and stretch rope for tie down. Personally I had the best ever results and reports you can imagine from camping sites and anywhere else you can possibly go with your suitcase. It takes no space in the car and you can tune 10,20 meters HF with great Fun guaranteed..
Tried many others as I said they all work well, my inverted V sets reached the furthest and best reports, the nice is you can prepare and prune them to 100 , and keep on using at every next camp without any worries - 73 ..L

5B4AJG

Member #143
Hi, when playing /P my preferred antenna is the superb Transworld Traveller TW2010, set up and on air in a couple of minutes or so.