Can anyone identify this antenna

mu0chn

Member #10
Can anyone identify this antenna. There is an extension that I bought with it that is about the same length as the main part that can go either end. I am sure that there was a telescopic top section for portable use. I cannot find the lead to change bands although it came with 2. I ordered some small banana plugs to try but they were too big for the holes. I thought that the company was from Wales and after doing a search on the internet I found a company but they said it was not one of there's and it was then that said to get the mini banana plugs.
I had thought of putting self tappers in each hole and using a lead with crocodile clips but I thought I would try on here first.

attachment.php

attachment.php

EI9ESB

Member #466
Its similar to an ATX Walkabout or the MFJ version. I don't think its either of these though. It also is similar to an Outbacker.

Measure the inside diameter of the wanderlead sockets and I might be able to point you in the right direction for suitable plugs.

2M0AYZ

Member #586
I've used something similar. One lead plugs into the bottom socket, and then you plug into one of the others. The lower sockets are for higher bands, and as you go up, you are going to lower bands. Operation on 40m and 80m is a bit iffy, but higher bands can work quite well. You fine tune by shortening or lengthening the whip. A counterpoise is useful. You can try adjusting the overall length of the antenna 90cms for 20m and 110.5 cms for 40m. The counterpoise could be a quarter wavelength. You might have adapt the lengths I've suggested, because I don't know the actual dimensions of the antenna. Mini banana plugs should work fine. Hope that helps. 73.

Last edited:

mu0chn

Member #10
Hi Colin.
Thanks for the reply.
It was quite a long time ago that I bought this antenna. I know that we came over just to go to the Longleat rally. I just can't remember the company name.