Diy antenna support

mu0chn

Member #10
Has anyone on here made there own antenna support for portable work. Looking for ideas. Also is there a way to tell if something is made of fibre glass or carbon fiver. I was given a 2 section pole some time ago, it's only about 11' but it's a start.

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Has anyone on here made there own antenna support for portable work. Looking for ideas. Also is there a way to tell if something is made of fibre glass or carbon fiver. I was given a 2 section pole some time ago, it's only about 11' but it's a start.

Carbon fiber is conductive so grab a multimeter, stick it on the continuity setting and see if the pole conducts. You need to put the probes on the bare carbon fiber (like the rim of the pole at the bottom) as the pole is usually covered in an insulating lacquer.

I use a cheap 6M push up pole from Decathlon as my main /P mast. It just about fits in my backpack and I use velcro straps to attach it to the manpack frame so no other support is needed. I've also go a 12M heavy duty pole from DX Wire (http://www.dx-wire.de/lng/en/fiberglass-poles/fiberglass-poles/125m-grp-mast-extra-heavy-duty-.html) which I take with me if I really want to get the antenna up high!

mu0chn

Member #10
Thanks John, Matt and Peter. I have a 12 m Spider pole, and its very good but heave. When I had my 4x4 I use to bungy it to the bull bar. Cash is very short at the moment so trying to do something on the cheap.

M0PZT

Member #87
I'm with Peter G0DZB on this: A good 10m fishing-pole from SOTAbeams. Enough height for a 40m 1/4wave vertical (or an all-band end-fed) but also strong enough near the top to support feeding a Dipole/Inverted-V. I velcro-tie a lightweight t-piece which has either 300-ohm feeder or RG58 attached to it. No connectors, so less chance of it swaying in the wind. The 7m poles are OK, but better for supporting ends of Dipoles - The 10m pole, collapsed, is 115cm and still transportable (I cycle to my /P outings). For mounting in a field/sand,, you will need something more substantial than a parasol screw-base: Have a look at 1" angle-iron from B&Q. About £6 for a 1m length. Don't forget the hammer :)

G4KLE

Member #364
Yes a good 10m fishing-pole from SOTAbeams, topped with BandHopperIV from SOTAbeams. On my bike to my favorite location at Fen Drayton Lakes, CAMBS... WX - Nice Sunny day

QTH1QRP.JPGSetUpQRP.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

G1YBB

Member #381
Usually the price will tell you if it's carbon or plain fibreglass.
The fishing poles are very good for wire antennas.

I am actually working on right now a small lightweight aluminium mast for backpack portable 2m contesting, suitable for supporting a 5m boom yagi.
It's only max 5 or 6m height, but I only need 4m high for the contests I am planning to enter. 3 section of 30, 25, and 20mm,all 2mm wall thickness. After ordering I was concerned that 20mm would be too spindly, but it arrived last week and I think it will be fine and solid once guyed.
If windy will need a second person to keep tension on the guys during the transition from retracted to extended if it's windy.

G1YBB

Member #381
Hi Charlie. Nice idea but about £49.90 more than I have at the moment :(:(:(:(:(

There is an eBay seller called paulsanglingsupplies who I got my poles from. I have got a 10m, 8m, and 5x 4m (for another antenna project) from them.
The 8m is great. The 10m I wasn't so happy with a couple of the joints, but some coats of varnish sorted that out, and 4 of the 4m ones were perfect, the 5th not as good but usable for my project. Worth a look, and a lot less than £50

mu0chn

Member #10
There is an eBay seller called paulsanglingsupplies who I got my poles from. I have got a 10m, 8m, and 5x 4m (for another antenna project) from them.
The 8m is great. The 10m I wasn't so happy with a couple of the joints, but some coats of varnish sorted that out, and 4 of the 4m ones were perfect, the 5th not as good but usable for my project. Worth a look, and a lot less than £50

Steve I have seen him on ebay but will not ship to Guernsey. :(

G1YBB

Member #381
Steve I have seen him on ebay but will not ship to Guernsey. :(

That's a shame and annoying. Especially when you consider places like Amazon and play.com use(d) the channel islands as a shipping base!

There are a few people selling the fishing poles. Some sell them as flag poles I have noticed.