Dual phased verticals or a single 5/8th wave?

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
I like a bit of early morning DX by the sea on 20M and usually use a single 1/4 wave vertical which gives good results.

I'm thinking about giving a pair of phased 1/4 waves a try or maybe a single 5/8th wave. I understand that the 5/8th wave has a low take off angle but I don't know much about HF phased arrays.

Can anyone tell me the pros/cons of each one?

G7CSM

Member #109
Have used this at an old QTH where space was not an issue and I was single!A Good co-phased harness is a must, test each antenna individually ( Dummy load needed) then check co-phased, at least 1/4 wave lenght between each antenna is needed, you definitely acheive gain and it is directional. Why not try co-phasing two 5/8 antennas? Have fun, Rob.

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
I think I'll have a go at a single 5/8th first and see where it goes from there. A pair of stacked 5/8th does sound interesting!

G1LTV

Member #160
Hi Matt
Just a quick hello, I run a pair of phased 5/8 on 20m.
Superb for Dx, but can be a bit noisy at times.
Look me up on qrz and if I can be of any help, drop me a line.
Regards
Steve

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
I would definitely be interested in more details about your phased verticals Steve.

Would you mind adding a short post about them?

G1LTV

Member #160
Hello Matt, I started with a couple of phased 1/4 waves originally, which performed quite well.
Having the children's 14 foot trampoline in the garden, provided a good support and excellent ground plane characteristics. The 5/8 waves act as a driven and director, running in and out of phase, so giving a directional effect allowing switching of the phasing lines.
Both have a home brew L/C network at the base of each, producing a 50 ohm match and 1.5.1 swr in the phone part of 20m. Feel free to pm me if you require dimensions.
Just one will perform well enough, if you don't want to upset any neighbours, but bear in mind they are 43 feet of the ground.

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
I'm going to have a go at building a 5/8th wave now that I have access to an antenna analyser.

I'll make a post about it on the forum. :cool: