Fibre Glass Pole Mounting

G4KLE

Member #364
Fibre Glass Pole Mounting

I received my copy of Practical Wireless issue a couple of weeks ago and was interested in reading the article by Alan Walker (G4UWS) on his Universal Pole Mounting (page 23, June 2016) which describes a convenient way of fastening a fishing pole to assorted bases using odds and ends.
The construction was simple and as I normally use bungees to strap my SOTABeam 10m fibreglass pole to fences or use the ground spike, I thought I would have a go at assembling my own mount using items in my garage/workshop.

Wood was no problem as I am always tinkering with making things, lots of nuts and bolts in various pots. All I had to do was cut out the base to accommodate the bottom of the pole and get a clamp for the top.
I visited my local boat chandlers to see if they had a suitable clamp for holding the top of the pole, similar to G4UWS, but unfortunately there was nothing close, but the assistant was very helpful and showed me a pair Plastimo Spring Clips 45mm (£2:25 a pair) which were the same dimensions as the bottom section of my 10m pole.

With everything now assembled I completed construction of my Pole Mounting within about 2 hours (would have been shorter but had to purchase Spring Clips) and the finished product is amazing (even if I do say so myself). I have used it on 4 QRP/P outings – plus a number of colleagues from my club were impressed and I know of one other who is in the process of building the mount.
Thank you Alan G4UWS for sowing the seeds of imagination.

PoleMount1.jpegPoleMount5.jpegPoleMount2.jpegPoleMount3.jpegPoleMount4.jpeg

Happy Portable/QRP
Merv/G4KLE

WD5IKX

Member #46
Some great ideas there. I just picked up a 30' fiberglass pole and this is giving some new ideas for getting it up in the air.

John WD5IKX

G1YBB

Member #381
I screw one of these in, and use velcro cable ties to attach the pole to it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...hash=item1c387ef46b:m:mtuI52hLGnF4897BhPcq1fQ

$%28KGrHqFHJCUFClfL-W1OBQt5uDgC-g~~60_57.JPG

M0PZT

Member #87
Ah - that's the kind of thing that I've been looking for: Something to allow me to put a standard/travel 10m pole in the ground but without having to take a hammer (or rely on an-other Essex Ham). I typically cycle or walk to my /P sites and, like Peter G0DZB, I use a 1m length of "angle iron" (£6ish, B&Q) as those cheap plastic parasol "corkscrew" holders aren't tall enough to support the pole adequately.

Something that mixed the angle-iron with one of those dog-leash screw-hooks was my thinking - and this looks ideal... Thanks :)

PS: If you're a frequent Amazon user, it may work out cheaper there

Last edited:

G1YBB

Member #381
One thing I would say is mine is a bit short for the sole support, unless it's very calm. If the ground is hard it's better, but on soft peaty summits it needs screwing in more. I always use guys with it although I have been out when it probably doesn't need it. I mainly use the spike to hole the pole up until the guys are tied off.