My multiband

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
Well my bad stretch has continued as I try to find a good aerial.

Last night I made another 4:1 unun as per my design in the article I posted and popped it onto a wound antenna, also as per my article. Instantly the little kx1 set a 1:1 SWR on all the bands it can (80,40,30,20) and I saw max power out on 80 (4 watts) and good power on all the others, down to 2.5 watts on 20m.

Basically, of all the aerials I have tried THIS aerial is the best by far.

Of course, SWR is only one point, the major point is "does it work?". Well using this aerial and a variety of powers from 100w to 1 watt from home I have worked the globe: right down to VK, ZL and China...whatever that is.

If you havent tried these aerials I would urge you to do so. I have made mine portable so I dont need to wrap the wire afresh every time, YMMV. The unun is easy (but I will sell you one if you need one).

The whole aerial shoudnt take you too long or too much to make so I hope you have a bash. Again, if you need one making I will sell you a complete aerial, pole and unun.
Im about to commence tests without the pole. How? Watch this space!!!

David

G4YVM

WD5IKX

Member #46
Hi David

I just finished the mix 26 unun.

Mix 26 UNUN-2-sm.jpg

Can you supply any additional details about the antenna and how you deploy it?

John
WD5IKX

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
John,

Wind the wire onto the pole exactly as per the details in the article. http://www.arpoc.org/content/135-multiband-hf-antenna-easy.html The pole MUST MUST MUST be glass fibre and NOT NOT NOT carbon. We us 7m poles but but 10m ones work as well. Any glass fibre pole will do.

Deployment can vary: some use a stand-in drive-on pole holder like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Base-Flagpole-Holder-REGULAR-/300954696456?hash=item46124c3b08, others knock a stake into the ground and use cable ties to fasten the pole base.

Whilst one can wrap and unwrap the wire everytime (and it only takes a few minutes of tedium) I actually engineered a method whereby I can leave it all ready to go and it's deployable in seconds. Thats up to your ingenuity.

Feed the radio via coax to the unun, pop the aerial wire on the hot output and you need NO earth line.

Good luck.

D

WD5IKX

Member #46
Hi David

My mix 26 UnUn is working great and thanks for the tip about them. I have been using 85 feet of .8mm copper weld wire strung up in inverted V fashion with a 50 foot counterpoise laid on the ground below it and I have been extremely happy with the performance of this antenna. It loads on every band 160 through 10 meters. I have talked all over the US and had some great DX contacts to Australia and Europe using only 50 watts. I have used this antenna for two portable outings so far and I expect to use it for many more.

IMG_1336.JPGIMG_1328.JPG

John WD5IKX

Last edited:

mu0chn

Member #10
Have you tried any other configuration. I have a 12m pole but was also thinking horizontal. I may of missed it but is there a recomended coax length.

WD5IKX

Member #46
My first Mix 26 UnUn worked so well I am building more. T130-26 with #18 wire and T175-26 with #14 wire. I hope they work as well as my first.

Mix-26 UnUn-2-sm.JPG

I will update as I finish the build and try them out. Gives me something to do while the band conditions are less than stellar. (o;

John WD5IKX
Texas USA

Last edited:

WD5IKX

Member #46
I finished another Mix 26 UnUn and it turned out well. I did a quick check with around 25' of wire wound around my 8 meter "Squid Pole" with a 50' run of RG8X with a choke at the tuner and was able to get <1.2 on 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, 1nd 10 meters without any counterpoise. 80 meters the match was not quite as good but it may work better with a counterpoise or radials. I did not make many QSOs due to poor band conditions at the time and it was 105° F (40.5°C) so I scurried back inside to cool off. I am making another trip to Ft Griffin SHS next week so I will test it with some radials.

Mix 26 v2 UNUN-3.JPGMix 26 v2 UNUN.JPGMix 26 v2 UNUN-2.JPG

Making these things is fun! (o:

John WD5IKX

Last edited:

AA9SD

Member #51
I see S9 are using 4:1 unun's for multi band operation.

Yes, I've got an S9v18 and a 4:1 unun. It works well and the internal tuner in my Omni VII can tune it from 40 meters up to 10 meters. My external LDG Z817 tuner can also tune it over the same range for use with my FT-817nd. I'm sure it isn't at all efficient on 40 meters given it is only 18' but it does tune. I have made a QSO from my QTH near Chicago to Los Angeles (over 2000 miles) on SSB with my FT-817nd at 5 watts. I got the S9 from Cheapham.com for only US $35 (that's what, maybe 30 euros or 28 pounds?). The unun purchased new was $27.

I've had so much success with it I'm thinking of building one 31 feet long for 40 meters and up.

WD5IKX

Member #46
Hi Sherman

I use the mix 26 4:1 UnUn with 85 feet of wire strung up like an inverted V with a 50 foot counterpoise on the ground below the antenna and have gotten good reports on 80 and 40 meters. I used this antenna which I call my "Field Day Special" this year for Field Day and made over 300 contacts on 80 through 10 meters as well as some DX from Europe before FD began. The inverted V arrangement does not take up too much space if your yard is small and it is easy to set up for portable ops as well.

I have also used the 4:1 UnUN with 25 and 31 feet of wire as a vertical wound around fiberglass "Squid poles" for portable ops with good results as well.

I plan to string up 85 feet of wire as an inverted L at the QTH since my yard is very small.

FD-2015-06.JPGM26-Vertical-1-sm.JPG

All in all the mix 26 4:1 UnUn has been a great addition to my kit.

John WD5IKX
Texas

AA9SD

Member #51
John,

I just went through my boxes 'o stuff and think I've found a mix-26 toroid, at least it is yellow. It is pretty small, still I imagine it should be good for QRP levels. After the holidays I'm going to purchase a 31 foot telescoping pole (and possibly a 20 footer) to experiment with as well.

mu0chn

Member #10
I now have 2 Toroid's they are yellow with one white side so I hope they are OK. Size is 27 x 14 x 11 mm, I hope this is big enough to handle 100 watts, it's not a problem if they can't and I have seen some that are 33 x 19 x 11 mm from the same supplier. I found some 1.5 mm twin and earth in my shed will this be up to the job.
I don't have a QRP radio at the moment but I do try to keep the power down but in satiation's it does creep up.

AA9SD

Member #51
I finished the unun today and have purchased a 20' telescoping pole. The weather here is not good, 36 F (about 3 C?) and raining. Tomorrow is supposed to be colder but clear so I might get to actually try it out.

AA9SD

Member #51
OK, I've had a few minutes to test the antenna. I set it up in my front hall next to the stairs so I was able to extend it to its full height. I have an 18 foot wire which I attached to the top of the pole and used Velcro to hold it against the pole in a couple of places. I attached the UNUN with no counterpoise or radials and connected about 25 feet of coax. I then hooked up my antenna analyzer and did a quick check of the bands from 40m up to 10m. The SWR was less than 4.5:1 across each band and the Z ranged from 30 to about 90 making it an easy match for my Z-817 tuner. For the heck of it I tried it on 40m and got a 4.0:1 SWR there as well and my tuner is able to tune 40 meters with only 18 feet of wire. I'm sure the efficiency is quite low on 40m but it could be used. I wonder how using 8 or 16 radials would affect things? I'll try it out at some point.

I didn't make any contacts but did tune around the bands and clearly heard QSOs on 40, 20 and 15m. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how this has worked out to this point. Of course making contacts is the goal and I haven't done that yet.

So what next? Beyond making some contacts of course I would like to try a thinner, more flexible wire for the antenna. I just used what I had on hand and it is 14 AWG and quite stiff. I also need to finish up the radial plate I'm making and give it a try with radials.

I'll post more when I've actually had a QSO using it!

WD5IKX

Member #46
OK, I've had a few minutes to test the antenna. I set it up in my front hall next to the stairs so I was able to extend it to its full height. I have an 18 foot wire which I attached to the top of the pole and used Velcro to hold it against the pole in a couple of places. I attached the UNUN with no counterpoise or radials and connected about 25 feet of coax. I then hooked up my antenna analyzer and did a quick check of the bands from 40m up to 10m. The SWR was less than 4.5:1 across each band and the Z ranged from 30 to about 90 making it an easy match for my Z-817 tuner. For the heck of it I tried it on 40m and got a 4.0:1 SWR there as well and my tuner is able to tune 40 meters with only 18 feet of wire. I'm sure the efficiency is quite low on 40m but it could be used. I wonder how using 8 or 16 radials would affect things? I'll try it out at some point.

I didn't make any contacts but did tune around the bands and clearly heard QSOs on 40, 20 and 15m. All in all I'm pretty pleased with how this has worked out to this point. Of course making contacts is the goal and I haven't done that yet.

So what next? Beyond making some contacts of course I would like to try a thinner, more flexible wire for the antenna. I just used what I had on hand and it is 14 AWG and quite stiff. I also need to finish up the radial plate I'm making and give it a try with radials.

I'll post more when I've actually had a QSO using it!

Any updates???

John WD5IKX

mu0chn

Member #10
A follow up article in the latest Radcom. Interesting loaded vertical for portable work.