Practice Run Tonight

MI0PYN

Member #77
Article Contributor
Was out in the garden this evening for a practice run with the new Sotabeams linked dipole.

I like QRP, harder than imagined but more satisfying for me. Contacts into Spain and England on 5W on 40m and 20m.

The Icom IC-706 MkIIG is definitely NOT a good portable rig, way too heavy, although the fact that it's mounted on a board, along with a tuner won't help. Good enough rig, but I don't think I'll be buying one... (this is the club's loaner)

Anyway, I think I should be good to attempt an activation when I have a few days off next week.

Midges stopped play.

G7CSM

Member #109
An X1M is worth a thought for portable, its what I use, wont break the bank hot RX and I have worked the states on a resonant dipole. Power consumtion low as well, good DX 73,S Rob.

MI0PYN

Member #77
Article Contributor
Good to hear, the X1M is on my short list, that and a FT817.

Getting one at reasonable money is the next thing...

MI0PYN

Member #77
Article Contributor
A few into the rest of the UK, but the one I'm quite proud of is breaking through quite a pileup to get one in the log with AO150T, a Spanish special event station celebrating 150th anniversary of the ITU.
I got in on 5W even though there were a lot of big guns calling him.
I had the SotaBeams Bandhopper in a sort of inverted V, difficult to get in my garden, the legs were at a less than ideal angle. The apex was up at about 6m on a pole lashed to the washing line support at the top of the garden.
I was really pleased at how the antenna works, and coupled with a X1M or FT817 would work really well for /P operations.

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
If you were running off battery power and have a picture of the set up then you can count that towards your first award...

just sayin... :D

MI0PYN

Member #77
Article Contributor
Didn't take any pics, but might just try again tonight to see if I can snag any more contacts!

Thanks for the reminder, didn't want to push it with it only being in my back garden, but it was on battery power and with a demountable antenna setup, so.....

;)

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Back garden is fine so long as you follow the award rules.

Don't forget that as you are a full member you can also "spot" yourself on the spots page so other ARPOC members know where to find you.

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
Ill be interested how that aerial works. My own aerials of late have been very disappointing...but I know a lot of designs that dont work now ;)

As for rigs, yes the 706 is heavy and without an auto ATU is not the way to go I think (I used one for ages). The X1 has a tiny screen, the HB1b is SUPERB as a radio, highly recommended but it has no ATU. The 817 is good but an ergonomic dinosaur and the battery life is poor. The Elecraft types (K1, K2, KX1, KX3) are very very good but also cost a bob or two. For ages I used the K2 I built and with the internal battery it is fabulous, but for ease of use the KX1 is better in the field. Are you SSB or proper radio? (kidding :cool:)

Anyway, glad to have aboard and working /P!

David
G4YVM

MI0PYN

Member #77
Article Contributor
I work SSB for now, while I'm learning "proper" radio!

I'd love one of the Elecraft radios, but they're well outside my price range, 2 small kids with another on the way see to that! The X1M looked like a good stopgap until I could get something better, and internal batteries aren't much of a concern as I'd run any QRP rig from LiPo or LiFe batteries anyway. You'll see an example of my power setups in the article on the front page.

I'll have to take a look at the HB1B as well, no atu is no big deal when working with resonant dipoles, and less power is lost in impedance mismatches, at QRP it all makes a difference.

Have a look at the SotaBeams website for some of the antennas he supplies, I've been very happy with mine. No connection, other than as a very satisfied customer.

73s
Stefan 2I0SEH

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Ill be interested how that aerial works.

I'll post a review up on the front page in a few days for you David. I'm happy with mine but it is something that you could easily build in a few hours.

KK4UTO

Member #25
Award Curator
I use an FT817nd with a Z817 autotuner into a home made matchbox end fed dipole. With this rig I have talked all over Europe, including the UK
And at least one contact on every continent. And just been using it regularly since February. My best was New Zealand at about 1AM local time.
I am in Frankfort KY, USA.

KK4UTO

Member #25
Award Curator
I guess I should write up something on the match box I made for my back pack. It is put into 2 1 1/4 PVC caps pushed onto a minimum length of pipe. I use T80-2 toroids and 18awg wire. The wire fits tight but works great. In the field I use no counter poise so I built it with just one connection on the opposite end from the SO239 connector. I will never use this one for anything other than 5Watts either ssb or cw. This is why to me anyway the counter poise is not important. The coax shield acts as a counter poise and my coax is longer than the antenna wire so the signal should never back up to the radio.