PW 2M QRP VHF contest 2015

M0RSF

Member #60
Hello all,

Sunday 14th June 2015 is the Practical Wireless 144 MHz QRP contest 09:00 - 16:00 UTC. Weather permitting I plan to be out on some high ground somewhere, probably a SOTA summit.

Anyone else interested in this event?

73 Chris M0RSF

mu0chn

Member #10
I have never done this contest but was planning to do it this year. Reading PW (looking at the pictures before anyone else says it) I see it is the day after my son gets married. Oh well it give's me more time to service my 2m beam.

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
I'll be joining in after 13:00 for a few hours due to work but not a lot of high spots around me :(

G6URM

Member #15
done this one a long time ago now - when i lived on dartmoor ( 1500 ft asl ) with my first radio a FT290r - but will be listening on the day to give away a few points IF there is any activity round here - but i have found in the past that its been pretty quiet

G1JPV

Member #112
Hi Chris,

I hope to give some points away to anyone in the contest, but won't be taking part in it seriously, I have a GB2RS News Read at 10.30 on 145.525 but will be monitoring the SSB section after that

Hope to get you in the log and possible grab some chaser points if you are up a summit?

Good Luck

73 Tony

M0TCF

Member #142
done this one a long time ago now - when i lived on dartmoor ( 1500 ft asl ) with my first radio a FT290r - but will be listening on the day to give away a few points IF there is any activity round here - but i have found in the past that its been pretty quiet

G0FGE & I will be active for the whole competition probably, our site is near Silverton in East Devon. We've been there for the last two years :) This year we will be activating the Exeter Club Call GX4ARE, so please do give us a shout if you can hear us!

73's Lin.

G0PDZ

Member #85
I had a play with the contest. I arrived at my 1st choice location, highest cliff top locally (21m, wow!) with a clean take off east through North to the West, not a bad compromise from the North Kent coast. But, I hadn't accounted for a 'boot fair' and the place was rammed with cars & people. Impossible.
I retreated to an alternate location only 10m ASL, but with almost the same clean take off directions.
After a quick breakfast & exercise of the dog I set up at the roadside, 10 ele beam at about 4m on a fishing pole sitting on a drive on stand, 2.5w from the FT817, I was operational.
The hard work then began, it was slow hard work winkling out signals, plenty of responses to calls resulted in 'QRZ, again, long call please' some resulted in a slow but successful exchange, a few sorry no copy & a golden few where the signal lifted out of the noise into a genuine 59+++ signal.
All in all I worked 25 stations in about 3 hours, bailing out due to the increasing wind blowing the unguyed pole about & the battery level dropping away.
Lots of lessons learnt on operating ergonomics from the back seat of a car, don't! I chose it as I was 'Armstrong' rotating the beam & the drive on stand under the rear wheel placed the pole closer to the back door than the front wheel to the front seat. But my tall & large frame doesn't compute with a back seat of a small car!
No prizes for me.

Ian
G0PDZ

M0TCF

Member #142
I loaded the van on Saturday evening and then rose on Sunday (for me at least) at the un-Godly hour of 0700 hrs to sort myself out and get on the road to pick up my fellow op Allan G1JXI from Cullumpton. We arrived on site bang on time and I proceeded to put the beam on the portable mast and get the whole lot guyed up: total time 20 mins! I was just setting the ring up on the table in the van when Phil 2E0PCJ turned up and chivvied me along as it was already 5 mins into competition time!! On went the rig and the fun began......

Meanwhile, in the same field, in the same part of Devon, (on the other side of the van) Allan was busy putting up his mast, beam and fishing pole..... (time finished 1115 hrs) :rolleyes: When I collected him, he was waiting ready with his 'portable' station, ready packed in 3 hard cases, a rucksack, a daysack not to mention a car battery, laptop bag and 10m pole......... It looked like we were going to Marbaya for 2 weeks not 6 hours in the wilds of Devon lol.

Anyway, more on Allans gear later on. We progressed through the morning Baz G0FGE rolled in a little later, soon followed by M0NRJ Nick - who did a get job listening to signals and rotating the beam. Within an hour we'd surpassed our record and moved onto new territory as far as competition scores go! By the time we packed it in due to no signals, our score had peaked at a lofty 13 confirmed QSO's :) Next year we plan to do a lot better, probably by mounting the pre-amp on the mast head, having a bigger mast and a lot bigger antenna! I might even be tempted to 'lop down' a few tree branches if the farmer gives his permission - two thirds of our location is surrounded by close, dense trees, which I suspect is having quite an effect on our little signal!

Having knocked the comp on the head early, Allan and I decided to make the most of our Sunday Passes and do some experiments with Nick (from his home QTH) using FLDigi and HRD, again using an 817. Al and I were rather taken aback by the level of messages we were receiving, esp since we were using a rather unusual antenna slung over the top of the camper roof and secured some 8 meters away on a gate post. We got signals in from all over Europe and managed a couple of standardised QSO's using Macro's already set up previously. We received a couple of messages from Nick and then lost all contact apart from via GB3EX our local repeater which we were using for talk back. I eventually got on the road and home for about 1900 hrs having waited for 'Mr Speedy' to pack all and sundry - tbh in the end he just said 'sod it', chucked it all in the large case and opted to sort it out at base :)

The competition bus - great take off behind us..........
150614-01-800.jpg

Allan & Baz putting a beam together
150614-02-800.jpg

Nick working the beam, Phil listening in :)
150614-05-800.jpg

Allan on the laptop, me on the mike
150614-06-800.jpg

Nicks write up of the day can be found at http://www.exeterars.co.uk/

Last edited:

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Great report and pictures!

Plenty of room in that field for a 100' trailer mast. Just sayin... ;)

M0TCF

Member #142
Thank you Matt!

Apologies for the spelling mistakes - I'll know in future to do my written ramblings in Word or some such. I really enjoy writing, esp about my fun with radio's!

The pictures are deceptive, we are required by the land owner to only proceed into the area where the van is parked, if you stand by the van and looked towards the photographers position, there are three lines of trees, all very tall with dense foliage. I agree entirely, a 100 ft mast would fit in there very well; so roll on a lottery win :) . As it is, EARS are looking for a new home, the club is out growing its current accommodation and I don't think a portable mast is even on the list of priorities let alone at the bottom of it!!!!!.......