Solarcon A99 for portable?

WA5SAT

Member #47
Hello Friends!

I have posted before that I really enjoy using end fed wire antennas for portable operations. Currently I support my wire with a 30 foot Jackite pole that collapses down to around 4 and a half feet.

My current home antenna for 10 meters (and other bands that will resonate) is the famous Solarcon A99 and I have been thinking that an A99 would be just as easy to transport as the Jackite pole. It breaks down to 3 six foot pieces, is very light, and could be lashed to a picnic table, a fence or a pier.

I am visualising an additional 4 or 5 foot pole (possibly PVC pipe) to attach the A99 to, just to get it off the ground.

I would like to know if any of you have used an A99 for portable operations, how you configured it, and how you liked the results.

Thank you and 73, de WA5SAT

G0DZB

Member #84
Award Moderator
A key question for me would be "Does it go up and down as easily and as quickly as the Jackite pole" If not, the reserve it for longer "all day" sessions where a few extra minutes of up/down time won't matter.

WD5IKX

Member #46
The A99 is made for 11 meter CB band so how well does it load on other bands? How is it on 20, 17 and 15? "Inquiring minds want to know" (o: Is 40 meters possible?

I am wondering if this would be any better than my M26 vertical which loads to < 1.2 SWR on 80 through 10 meters with a LDG Z11 tuner. The 8 m fiberglass pole is only about 24" when collapsed. I can also attach counterpoise wires to improve performance.

M26-Vert-Kit-1-sm.JPGM26-Vert-06-sm.JPGM26-Vert-02-sm.JPG

Just wondering....I am always looking for good antennae.

John WD5IKX

Last edited:

YO2MSB

Member #248
Just wondering....I am always looking for good antennae.
John WD5IKX

Hi John,
As it says here: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamants/1001.html the Solarcon A99 could work from 10 to 17m...
I didn't test this antenna, but I could tell you that my Sigma Venom HyGain, which is also a CB antenna, is working good from 40 to 6m with the help of an LDG tuner. And I know also some CB verticals type Sirio GPE 27 in my city that are doing the same from 40m and up. Somehow they are the same type of antennas as the Solarcon. Of course it's a compromise, but as time as my transceiver is happy and I receive 59 reports, I don't care too much if I'm not using a perfect antenna. So I am tempted to give a credit to the Solarcon A99.
Speaking about your fiberglass pole with 4:1 UnUn, I was using for years exactly the same type of antenna in SOTA, putting 13,5m of wire on a 7m fishpole. BUT this summer, seeing other SOTA activators working with Inverted L's, I start to use the same 13,5m of wire in Inverted L configuration with the same fishpole. The result was completely surprising, 2 more S points on my transceiver and very good reports from my chasers. You can try this too with the same materials you already have there.
Good luck!

Last edited:

WD5IKX

Member #46
I read the reviews for the A99 and they are "all over the map". Some love em and some hate em. Considering the ease of installation is a big factor in it's popularity and if they are making contacts that is what it is all about. If I should stumble across one at a junk shop I may pick it up and give it a go.

I will give the inverted L configuration a go. I have been considering it but just have not done it yet. So far I have used a 7.5 m (25')wire as a vertical fed with the M26 4:1 UnUn as well as 26 m (85') as an inverted V end fed again with the M26 UnUn with good results both ways. The longer wire is better on the 80 and 40 m bands of course. I am currently building a lightweight doublet fed with 300 ohm balanced line which will is cut for 20 meters and up. If I like it I plan to make a longer one to cover 40 meters and up which will be supported by a 8.5 m JacKite fiberglass pole I just bought. All I need now is some good weather....this El Nino pattern is making it very wet here this fall. )o:

John WD5IKX
Texas

MW0XOT

Member #354
Mike Hunter (2E0YYY) is currently using an Antron 99 for most of his SOTA activations. I think he operates mostly on 10-20m and it tunes up OK. Why not make contact with him via QRZ.com

WD5IKX

Member #46
Mike Hunter (2E0YYY) is currently using an Antron 99 for most of his SOTA activations. I think he operates mostly on 10-20m and it tunes up OK. Why not make contact with him via QRZ.com

HI John

I will go take a look at his QRZ page. Thanks and 73

John WD5IKX
Texas