Ugly Balun

mu0chn

Member #10
Hi has anyone made an ugly balun with the winding on the inside of the PVC pipe. This is for use at home so it needs to be as neat as possible. In the pipe will be a 9:1 unun and the coax coil then sealed.

WD5IKX

Member #46
Here is my "Ugly Balun" that I use with most of my portable antennae. I drilled small holes so I could anchor the first and last winding with tie wraps and then used electrical tape to hold the windings in place.
I have never had stray RF problems even when using 100 watts.

20M vertical feed.JPG

"Crude but effective" (o:

John
WD5IKX

M0PZT

Member #87
Yes, and they're not very good - unless you build it according to your carefully-calculated sums! If you're aiming for a mostly resistive choke for general HF use (given that you've got a 9:1 at the end), then you would fare better with 8 turns of coax on an FT140-43 or FT240-43 toroid. Have a look at G3TXQ's charts - the black lines are where you want to be: http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/chokes/ As you'll see, if you are interested in working down to 3.5MHz, an FT240-31 would be a better choice.

The money you'd save on all that coax would pay for the (more effective) toroid :)

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Another nudge towards G3TXQ's chart. I've always had good results using it.

mu0chn

Member #10
I am going to use 52' 6" of wire from my window across to the far end of the lean to. Will have to experiment with the counterpoise. I do not plan on using much power so with a bit of luck I won't upset the other residents.

attachment.php