W3EDP

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
Well I have just constructed a W3EDP aerial, 85ft of wire with four off 17ft counterpoises. Its the logical extension of yesterdays experiments which will be tested later today, even though its blooming cold.

As an aside, I did look through the SOTAbeams website shop and, to be honest, the prices are very steep. Clearly the labour cost is much higher than the materials and they have to make a living... I might start selling my aerials...HF verticals, W3EDP a la G4YVM anyone??

D

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
There seems to be a handful of "one man band" antenna builders out there.

Why not have a go and see if the market can take one more?

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
Well that was rubbish! I kind of worked on 40, so so on 20, worked on 30 but rubbish (4:1) on 80.

back to the drawing board.

So far nothing has beaten 26 feet of wire...just like elecraft said! Funny old thing

D

G0DZB

Member #84
Award Moderator
I have used "W3EDP-like" antennas in the past, but I've always used a tuned transformer as shown in most of the diagrams on the web. When I go out /P with antenna experimentation in mind I take several sizes of coils and capacitors with me for building "bepoke" ATUs !

mu0chn

Member #10
I have used a W3EDP and had planned to use it more but someone pinched my supports. I built mine using 17' of 300 ohm slotted ribbon and then 68' of wire. LDG 4:1 balen between the ribbon and coax, then into my auto tuner.

Loads on the net about them.

G0DZB

Member #84
Award Moderator
The antenna you describe is NOT a W3EDP as described by W3EDP ! It is closer to a Zepp. W3EDP went FROM the Zepp TO his design. I really can't understand why people who go FROM a W3EDP back to a Zepp still call it a W3EDP and not a Zepp.
PeterO
G0DZB

mu0chn

Member #10
W3EDP or Zepp.
I am not even getting into that one as there are many thoughts on that one and a lot of the articles I have seen say "re worked" W3EDP.

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
As an aside, I did look through the SOTAbeams website shop and, to be honest, the prices are very steep. Clearly the labour cost is much higher than the materials and they have to make a living... I might start selling my aerials...HF verticals, W3EDP a la G4YVM anyone??

D

Having recently purchased an antenna from Sotabeams, I must say that their customer service is good and the product is great if you don't have time to (or want to) build.

I'll post a review of the antenna I purchased soon.

M0PZT

Member #87
Also +1 for SOTAbeams. We (members of the Chelmsford club) just did a large (just shy of £200) order and not only did it arrive within 2 days as promised, we got free postage and some freebies. Depends upon what you're after and if it's available elsewhere and/or if it's something that can be knocked-together in the Shack or garden-shed. Sure, if you Googlit you may find the OEM brand - whether they'll deal with you direct is another matter, as is shipping time on that "long boat from China" :)

1st prize in our club raffle this Tuesday is their Linked-Dipole kit :)

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
Im not knocking SOTAs customer service or their product quality. I did say their PRICES are a bit steep [for what they are]. Thats all.

I might try SOTA products myself yet!

D