What is portable?

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Maybe a definition for the purposes of the award that includes /M /AM and /MM? That would make it a lot easier and still within the spirit of "getting out there".

MI0PYN

Member #77
Article Contributor
Couple of points:
Furthermore, our licences do NOT expressly forbid operating from aircraft. The regs state "the equipment shall not be installed in an aircraft".. Nowhere can I find what "the equipment" is and it certainly doesnt say "you cant do it". My "office" has a wonderful SSB radio fitted which alas is only USB so is a bit restricted, but HF ops work just fine.

I respectfully must disagree with this section of your comment.

From the most recent license document:

2. Location
2(1) The Licensee may only operate the Radio Equipment in the United Kingdom (including its
territorial seas) subject to sub-clauses (a) – (c):
(a) Where this Licence is a Full Licence only, and unless it is a Full (Club) or
Temporary Licence, the Licensee may operate the Radio Equipment from a
Maritime Mobile location;
(b) Where this Licence is a Full Licence only, and unless it is a Full (Club) or
Temporary Licence, the Licensee may operate the Radio Equipment in
countries which have implemented CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01.
(c) The Radio Equipment may not be established or used in any Aircraft or
Airborne Vehicle.

Subclause C specifically states that Radio Equipment may not be used in any aircraft or airborne vehicle under the terms of the Amateur Radio License. I agree that this only applies in the UK and accept that a UK amateur may operate /AM in other jurisdictions, but airborne ops in the UK are specifically prohibited.

73s,

Stefan MI6PYN

MI0PYN

Member #77
Article Contributor
Maybe a definition for the purposes of the award that includes /M /AM and /MM? That would make it a lot easier and still within the spirit of "getting out there".

That sounds like a good compromise, but perhaps qualify that /M in a vehicle refers to static operation rather than, say, a QSO while driving?

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
Thank you both for your comments. I think we all have different interpretations of how the licence is worded and that is fine but this is not the place to discuss the UK specific licence. Let's get back on the topic of discussing the definition of "Portable" for the purposes of the award please.

That sounds like a good compromise, but perhaps qualify that /M in a vehicle refers to static operation rather than, say, a QSO while driving?

Yes, that sounds good.

Maybe there needs to be separate awards for HF and VHF/UHF operation too? That's a question for the "Award Curators" group.

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
I respectfully must disagree with this section of your comment.

From the most recent license document:

Subclause C specifically states that Radio Equipment may not be used in any aircraft or airborne vehicle under the terms of the Amateur Radio License. I agree that this only applies in the UK and accept that a UK amateur may operate /AM in other jurisdictions, but airborne ops in the UK are specifically prohibited.

73s,

Stefan MI6PYN

I am sure thats what they want it to mean, but it does say The Radio Equipment. What is that? If my aircraft has already got radio equipment fitted which already covers amateur bands, I can see no reason not to use it. Mind you, Ofcom and the CAA disagree. When I write to ofcom they say "its not us its the CAA" and when I write to the CAA they say "its not us its ofcom".

This argument by the way goes nowhere, so as a thread let us let it die.
D

G4YVM

Member #58
Article Contributor
Reference what is portable.

We run the serious risk here of over defining. It might be better if we agree what /P is NOT.

"/P is deemed to exist when the station uses no fixed base power, equipment, or aerials. All station equipment must be carried to the site and removed away afterwards."

I think all of us know what "fixed base" is, especially as we are looking at the spirit of the thing. I would suggest that if anyone wishes to claim /P from a place they consider might be dubious, they should ask first.

D

M0LMK

Member #2
Staff member
That sounds like a great definition and prevents just sitting in a car and using the fixed set and a mag mount but would allow using a radio fitted to a car and an antenna that has been erected temporarily.

Any objections if we go with that?

MI0PYN

Member #77
Article Contributor
Sounds like a fair way to go, with the option for people to check if they're not sure. Let's go for that.

mu0chn

Member #10
I mentioned in post#6 using an old lighting set for portable work and it turns out a local amature has done just that, but he removed the mast. I have uploaded a photo to my Album.
I think I would of kept the mast.